Monday, December 2, 2013

Super Premiums and Sticker Shock

As I sit here enjoying a super premium Davidoff 25th Anniversary in the shop, I struck a conversation with one of my regular customers regarding the top end prices demanded for some super premium blends, and just how much enjoyment you get out of a 22$ smoke versus an 8-10$ smoke.

First, the cigar. I found it smooth and earthy throughout, developing peppery notes towards the end. This cigar was gifted to me on my birthday last month, and has been in my humidor about a month. I love many of Davidoff's offerings, touting them as my "special occasion cigars" (more on that in a moment), and this cigar was not to the exception. The light immediately delivered big flavors with no discernible burning taste. I expected a relatively high burn on the retro-inhale, but there was none. Usually, on fuller body cigars, I get that distinctive burn, indicative of higher nicotine content. This lets me know to strap in and get ready for the ride. This cigar was none of that, just smooth and delightful throughout. Biggest notes were that grassy earth flavor, with moderate to full undertones of herbs, wood, and a little vanilla. I rated this cigar a five of five.

My mark of a quality cigar is always in flavor. My main marker for qualifying this cigar as a great blend is the lack of contaminating flavors. For example: ever light up an inexpensive blend right out of the box and taste that cheap wood and ammonia flavor? Those are contaminants. After extended aging periods in a quality humidor, virtually any cigar can shed these contaminating flavors. In fact, it is recommended that smokers not enjoy cigars obtained from a roller in person until 48-72 hours after rolling. This not only allows the cigar to firm up in shape, but also allows the ammonia naturally present in the leaf to dissipate. My 25th Anniversary tasted pure and flavorful, and I detected virtually zero contaminants. Right there, I knew she was going to be a good smoke.

Body is an irrelevant marker in the equation of quality. There are both full and mild bodied cigars that I consider to be truly quality. Sometimes we want a full after a nice dinner or rich lunch, sometimes we wake up and want something mild to start the day - our "breakfast" cigar. This cigar was fairly full - at least a 3/4 strength. However, it lacked the characteristic burn on retro-inhale I mentioned above. I judged it purely on the buzz it delivered - not the most scientific method, but I can assure you, this cigar delivered the goods.

So what's the deal? Is this cigar worth it's 22$ MSRP? The answer: yes, but not every day. The occasional treat of a super premium blend re-calibrates my palate and allows it to appreciate what a great cigar truly is. If I smoked these sticks all the time, not only would I rapidly drain my bank account, I'd also lose my appreciation for the little guys. But if you have the bankroll to smoke premium blends all the time, and don't really care about what's on the middle of the shelf, let me explain why you still shouldn't do it.

Many blends, especially those blended for the American palate utilize bold flavors that really embody what a specific leaf can really do for your blend. The Camacho Corojo, for example, really sets the bar for what a Corojo can taste like. Ashton's Maduro does the same for the fermented leaf. Are there better Maduros out there, better Corojos? Absolutely, but these blends personify what those leaves taste like in a sort of "clean room" environment.

Not only that, many mid-range blends are either one-hit-wonders or get tweaked into overall fantastic cigars, with time. Pepin Garcia's Flor de las Antillas was a premium blend at a stupidly-low price right off the bat.

The super premium Davidoff I just finished was a complex muddling of many different flavors to produce an overall quality cigar. Would I smoke it every day? Can't. Won't. Will I enjoy it as the occasion merits - bet your ass I will.

-Ephram Rafael Nadaner
Current Smoke: Davidoff 25th Anniversary Geneva Robusto

No comments:

Post a Comment