Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Armando Gutierrez Azul Vintage 2008 - An Honest Review

I mentioned this cigar as my current smoke in my last post and felt it needed a more suitable review.

Originally, I was smoking it passively as one of the many introductory sticks offered by the endless torrent of sales reps that walk through my door. I was somewhat harsh, it's actually not that bad, and as I said before, I'm not here for negative press.

I use a cigar journal purchased from 33 Books Co. for my casual reviews. I will scan the journal entry and post it when I get home, so my readers can get a better feel for what I was smoking... more "in the moment".

The cigar had minor draw issues, I'm getting that out of the way now. Many new blends in a round parejo shape I smoke have similar issues, so House of Emilio may work out the kinks in later editions. It only went out once as a result, and a soft flame brought it back to life without issues.

That being said, flavor was consistently "on" and I didn't notice it until I finished my review. I guess I wasn't really paying attention. The cigar started out with an oily chocolate taste, and a little bit of cedar thanks to it's cedar-shaving adornment. Midway, it developed a little bit of earthiness, a lot like the Avo Maduro. As it smokes now, towards the end, that metallic note of earthiness is lingering fairly pleasantly on the forward end of my lower palate.

I tested it out at around a medium body using the retroinhale "rolling" method. I'm not really buzzing that hard on it, so I feel like that's a fair and balanced rating.

The cigar itself is made by House of Emilio, and it sits in their "Epicurean" line. It features an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper, that may account for some of it's sweetness. The binder is Honduran, Filler is Jalapa and Esteliano.

The cigar is apparently rolled in Nicaragua, which may account for it's tight roll. I've heard the Nicaraguans have yet to come up to speed with the modern "fan bunching" rolling technique, and use a traditional Cuban "spiral" rolling technique. If you ask me, the best Torcedors come out of the Dominican Republic, but I'll comment more on that later.

Please do these guys a favor and try this stick out. I was harshing on it before, but it's really not a bad stick. I gave it a final rating of 4/5 in my journal.

Thanks for reading.

-Ephram Rafael Nadaner

No comments:

Post a Comment