Friday, March 28, 2014

Jamaica Commodore by Blue Mountain Cigars

Another day, another rep, another company profile lounging all over my screen estate.

This week, I'm delving into Blue Mountain Cigars. They're a newer company out of Miami with some interesting cigars. I had another rep from a well respected industry leader come in immediately after the BMC rep was here and he indicated they're a bit of a joke in the tobacco industry at the moment. Well, that's all well and good, but I've gotta pass judgement on my own.

So today, I'm smoking the Jamaica Commodore in about a Robusto size. When the rep gave me my samples he indicated they had been in his trunk for a few days. This kind of made me wince. So I left them in my humidor at the shop for a couple weeks. Today, I realized they were ready to smoke, and dove in.

So this Jamaica Commodore has a Connecticut wrapper and a Jamacian filler/binder. I've read that there may be a Sumatran-wrapped version as well, but I'm not quite substantiated on that yet.

In the flavor department, it falls a little flat. The Jamacian filler is overpowering my palate with a strong leafy taste that lingers on the roof of my mouth. It's not very strong. Around here, mediums tend to be mild, and full tends to be medium. It takes a Liga Privada, or strong LFD to really light our fires at the shop, but nonetheless I'm fairly confident most people will find this to be a mild.

Summing this cigar up, I'd say it's a pass. I'm not a huge fan of Jamaican tobaccos, so it's not really my cup, but if you're into that sort of thing (think the old, Royal Jamaica), you might give it a shot and pass judgement on this new, growing, company.

-Ephram Rafael Nadaner
Current Smoke: Jamaican Commodore Robusto 1.9/5

No comments:

Post a Comment